Morris Brown College & Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation Partner to Rehabilitate Fountain Hall
Community workday scheduled to secure historic building on Morris Brown campus.
Atlanta, GA (5/8/2010). The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation in partnership with Morris Brown College recently held a preservation workday to remove vegetation and effectively secure Fountain Hall (originally known as Stone Hall) on the Morris Brown campus. The work session provided an opportunity for the local community to learn more about the status of this historic site and to work toward its restoration.
Faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends of Morris Brown came with gloves, power drills, weed eaters, bush whackers and brooms and worked all day. “This is to be the first of many efforts to stabilize, protect, and rehabilitate the historic extant buildings located on the campus of Morris Brown College,” said Dr. Stanley Pritchett, Morris Brown College President.
Fountain Hall, an Atlanta landmark built in 1882, was constructed to educate freed slaves and is now designated as a National Historic Landmark. Civil rights leader W. E. B. DuBois maintained an office in the building from 1897 through 1910 — an office that remains intact today. The building was placed on the 2010 list of Places in Peril in November 2009 by the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation. Since Fountain Hall was placed on this annual list of the ten most endangered properties in Georgia, Jordan H. Poole, Field Services Manager for Georgia Trust and Dr. Pritchett, have been working together to address the rehabilitation.
Through a Partners in the Field grant from the National Trust for Historic Preservation and generous support from statewide donors and charitable organizations, The Georgia Trust is able to provide an on-site preservation assistance to its 2010 list of Places in Peril.
For more information about Places in Peril, visit www.georgiatrust.org or contact Jordan Poole at 706-506-9864.