Morris Brown College Frequently Asked Questions


What is accreditation and is Morris Brown College accredited?


Accreditation is an approval of schools, colleges, and universities by nationally recognized professional associations or accrediting bodies. Moreover, accreditation is a critical tool for quality assurance and accountability for higher education, signaling an institution’s commitment to academic quality and fiscal integrity. Those accrediting bodies ensure that the school, college, or university meets established qualifications and education standards, as determined through initial and periodic evaluations.

Morris Brown College is a member of the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS) [15935 Forest Road, Forest, VA 24551; Telephone: (434) 525-9539; email: info@tracs.org], having been awarded Accredited Status as a Category II institution by the TRACS Accreditation Commission on April 26, 2022. This status is effective for a period of up to five years. TRACS is recognized by the United States Department of Education (ED), the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), and the International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE).

Additionally, Morris Brown College has been authorized by the Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission which authorizes and regulates the operations of in-state nonpublic and out-of-state postsecondary institutions operation or offering instruction in Georgia.

Why did Morris Brown College previously lose its accreditation?

Answer: Morris Brown College lost its accreditation because of financial mismanagement in late 2002/early 2003. The President at the time was accused of misappropriating millions of dollars and indicted on 27 charges, but in 2006 pleaded guilty to one count of embezzlement — essentially admitting she swindled about $11,000 (misappropriating student financial aid) to cover administrative costs at the college. The educational program was rated highly.

What is the Tuition and is there financial aid?

Answer: Morris Brown offers one of the most affordable tuition rates in the nation for a four-year private college. The tuition is $4,250 per semester. Additionally, there are fees that may be seen by clicking here. Morris Brown does have access to Title IV funding.

What is Financial Aid?

Answer: Financial Aid consists of different sources such as grants, scholarships, work-study, and loans.  More information about the federal student aid programs can be found here: https://studentaid.gov/h.understand-aid

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Answer: To apply for financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at FAFSA® Application | Federal Student Aid using Morris Brown School code: 001583.  You must reapply for Financial Aid every October 1st.

When will I receive my financial aid information?

Answer: You should receive your financial aid information via your financial aid portal within 1-2 weeks of receiving your acceptance letter from Morris Brown College.  Missing or incorrect information on your FAFSA or in the portal will delay the delivery of your financial aid information.  Continuing students should expect to see financial aid information around mid-May.  Log in to your financial aid portal at Log in – CampusIvy to keep up with the status of your financial aid.

When will I receive my financial aid refund check?

Answer: Financial aid disbursements process every week.  If a student has more financial aid than tuition and fees, a refund check will be processed within 14 days after the disbursements post in Populi.  Please notify the Financial Aid Office if you would like to request a refund check.  Otherwise, financial aid is processed to cover tuition and fees charges only.

When does financial aid usually get disbursed?

Answer: Financial Aid is disbursed weekly throughout the semester.  Completing all required documents in a timely manner will ensure that financial aid is disbursed in a timely manner. The first disbursements made each semester will start the third or fourth week of each term or semester (after attendance verification).  First time borrowers have a 30-day loan disbursement delay.

Can I use my financial aid to cover off campus housing and other educational expenses?

Answer: Yes, if you qualify for enough financial aid to cover these expenses. Please discuss this option with the financial aid office to determine eligibility.

Can I use financial aid to cover my off-campus housing deposit?

Answer: Financial Aid disbursements do not disburse until the third or fourth week of each term or semester. Housing deposits are typically due prior to the semester start. Students should be prepared to pay off-campus housing deposits out of pocket. If a student qualifies for enough financial aid to cover a housing deposit, they could be reimbursed.

Do students live in dormitories at Morris Brown College?

Answer: Morris Brown College does not have dormitories, however some students reside in dormitory housing on the campus of Interdenominational Theological Center located next to MBC. Additionally, there is off-campus housing and apartments located less than five minutes from campus.

This link is provided as information for dorm housing- Please Click here: Talbot Hall Housing Application | Turner Seminary

Does Morris Brown College have a cafeteria or food services?

Answer: Morris Brown College does not have a cafeteria nor food services; however, some students utilize our partnership with Clark Atlanta University (CAU) for meal plans. CAU is walking distance from MBC.

Students from Morris Brown may visit the University PAW office located at the CAU Student Center, 3rd Floor, 223 James P. Brawley Drive, SW, Atlanta, GA 30314 to purchase the MBC Meal Plan. The PAW Office takes all forms of credit card payments; cash is not accepted. In order to purchase the MBC Meal Plan, the Morris Brown student must present a current, valid Morris Brown student I.D. and photo I.D. Morris Brown students will receive a card with the Morris Brown logo with the selected plan loaded onto the card (“MBC Meal Card”). Students must present the MBC Meal Card to the University dining facilities listed herein in order to utilize the MBC Meal Plan. The MBC Meal Plan and MBC Meal Card must be used by the card purchaser and is not transferable to another student. Lost card charge is $25 payable to the University PAW office.

Moreover, MBC has a partnership with Georgia State University where students have access to three GSU cafeterias. MBC students receive a 20% discount on meals. Please click this link for more details.

Can I earn a bachelor’s degree?

Answer: Students can earn a bachelor’s degree.  Additionally, MBC offers  Certificate Programs. For more information please see our Academic Programs please visit https://morrisbrown.edu/degree-programs/

What are the Morris Brown College staff office hours?

Answer: Regular office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00AM to 5:00PM except for the following holidays: Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday and Good Friday. Although we are closed on these days, transcript requests and duplicate degree orders can still be placed.

How can I make a gift to the College?

Answer: We appreciate gifts to the college, no matter how large or small. You may visit the college website and click the Give button https://morrisbrown.edu/give/. We have many convenient ways for you to give a donation to Morris Brown College.

How do I update my contact information with the college?

Answer: You may update your information by contacting the Office of Alumni Affairs at 404-458-6085 ext. 6 or e-mail todd.blackburn@morrisbrown.edu 

Student Services

What kind of activities are available?

Answer: MBC provides social, cultural, and community service programs. Additionally, there are various clubs and organizations on campus. Our campus is located minutes from tourist attractions and shopping centers. Some students visit neighboring college campuses to attend events open to the public. Currently MBC does not offer Band nor an Athletic Program. The institution does intend on starting a marching band along with soccer, golf, and bowling programs in the near future.

Are there any college changes due to COVID-19?


Morris Brown is joining a growing list of colleges in Georgia and throughout the country requiring students and employees to get the COVID-19 vaccine for the fall 2021 semester. This comes as President Biden announced that every person over the age of 16 will be eligible to be vaccinated starting May 1, 2021.

Full vaccination of the Pfizer, Modera, or Johnson & Johnson is now required for all faculty, staff, and students, who will be on campus or engage in any level of in-person instruction. The goal of this protection is to obtain herd immunity for the entire community to maximize the safety of all faculty, staff, and students.

Additionally, due to COVID 19, MBC is waiving the ACT and SAT Test Scores for the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 Semesters.

Moreover, the following protocols have been implemented:

1. Mask Wearing: Students and employees must wear face masks.
2. Physical Distancing: Students are expected to observe physical distancing.
3. Large Gatherings: Students and employees are expected to follow institutional guidelines regarding gathering sizes.
4. Isolation and Quarantine: Students are required to comply with institutional policies and should quarantine as it becomes necessary.
5. Contact Tracing: Students are expected to comply with all contact tracing efforts undertaken by the college when needed.
6. Symptom Monitoring: Students are required to conduct daily personal health screening, including temperature checks.
7. Regular Hand Washing/Sanitizer: Students are expected to wash their hands regularly.

Does Morris Brown have a work study program?

Answer: With the reinstatement of Federal Financial Aid, Morris Brown College does offer work-study to eligible students.

Will Morris Brown help graduates find jobs in their career fields?

Answer: We offer career counseling and have partnerships with Federal agencies to help find placement upon graduation, however, Morris Brown College does not guarantee job placement.

Does Morris Brown College offer online classes?

Answer: Morris Brown College offers some online classes. MBC will continue to offer online courses and programs in addition to on campus classes resuming Fall 2021.

Online Learning

What do I need to take classes online at MBC?

Answer: You will need a computer/laptop, stable Internet connection, and an up to date Internet browser, such as, Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, etc.

How do I access my online classes?

Answer: MBC uses Populi, which is a combined student management and learning management system.  Once you register and enroll in classes through the Registrar’s Office, you will be added to your classes and be able to access your courses on the first day of class.

Who do I contact if I have issues with Populi?

Answer: Student Populi Resources:  https://support.populiweb.com/hc/en-us/categories/203333527-For-Students

Students can also call 877.476.7854 or click Help>Open a Support Request located in the top right corner of www.morrisbrown.populiweb.com

How do I access Populi?

Answer:  Open the Internet browser of your choice and type www.morrisbrown.populiweb.com

Registrar Office

How can I retrieve a copy of my transcript and how long is the processing time?

Answer: All transcript requests must be submitted on the Morris Brown College website (https://morrisbrown.edu/online-transcript-request/). Emergency Transcript Requests are $25.00 per copy with a processing time of up to 3 business days and regular Official and Unofficial Transcript Requests are $10.00 per copy with a processing time of 7-10 business days.

Are my physical records still available?

Answer: Yes. All records are stored in fireproof file cabinets, an alternate location on campus or in our online Information Management System called “Populi”.

How can I retrieve a copy of my degree?

Answer: To order a duplicate degree, please email Ms. Brandy Gray – brandy.gray@morrisbrown.edu Duplicate degrees are $65.00 per copy and have a delivery time of six to eight weeks.

How can I access the files of a deceased student?

Answer: Records of Deceased Students will be made available to the parents of the deceased student and other authorized parties upon written request. The request must include the need for the records and must identify the requestor’s relationship to the deceased student. An official copy of the death certificate must accompany the request, if the College does not have prior notice of the student’s death. The privacy rights of an individual expire with that individual’s death. Records held by an institution for a deceased person are not a FERPA issue but a matter of institutional policy and MBC will exercise its own discretion in deciding if, and under what conditions, information should be disclosed to survivors or third parties.